HISTORY OF SARAWAK ICT ASSOCIATION (FORMERLY KNOWN AS CSSA SARAWAK)
The idea of forming an association of local computer firms was first mooted in Sibu in October, 1998. Application was then made to the Registrar of Societies for the formation of “Persatuan Jualan & Perkhidmatan Komputer Sarawak” (Computer Sales & Services Association Sarawak) on 23.11.1998. The Registrar of Societies requested the change of name of association to “Persatuan Jualan & Perkhidmatan Komputer Sibu” (Computer sales & Services Association Sibu) on 13.3.1999 as all the protem committee members submitted are from Sibu. Amended documents were then submitted on 6.4.1999 and the Registrar of Societies approved the registration of “Persatuan Jualan & Jualan Komputer Sibu” on 6.10.1999 vide Registration No. 1267.
The 1st Inaugural Meeting of “Persatuan Jualan & Perkhidmatan Komputer Sibu” was held in Sibu on 17.1.2000. Mr. Ting Heng Kiu was elected as the 1st Chairman of “Persatuan Jualan & Perkhidmatan Komputer Sibu” for 2000 and subsequently for 2001 at the AGM held on 11.2.2001.
At the AGM held on 11.2.2001, it was resolved to change the name of our Association to “Persatuan Jualan & Perkhidmatan Komputer Sarawak” to allow computer dealers throughout Sarawak to join our Association. The change of name was approved by the Registrar of Societies on 14.1.2002.
Mr. Wong Chi Tieng was elected as Chairman for year 2002 during the AGM held on 2.3.2002. He then proceed to re-write the whole Rules & Constitution to accommodate, among others, the election of office bearers for 2 years’ terms, the setting up of branches, branches rules, central committee and allow membership by affiliation association. The New Rules & Constitution of our Association was approved by Registrar of Societies on 17.6.2003.
The Chairman of the Central Committee (CWC) is to be elected by rotation among the Chairman of the branches and affiliated association for one term (2 years) and the term of office is as follows:
- 1st Term – Mr. Wong Chi Tieng (2003-2004)
- 2nd Term – Mr. Alex Jong Choon Teck (2005-2006)
- 3rd Term – Mr. Michael Kho Chung Kang (2007-2008)
- 4th Term – Mr. Wong Chi Tieng (2009-2010)
- 5th Term – Mr. Victor Kuan Wai Teck (2011-2012)
- 6th Term – Mr. Lee Kim Seng (2013-2014)
- 7th Term – Mr. Nicky Yong Kheng Ling (2015-2016)
- 8th Term – Mr. Wong Chi Tieng (2017-2018)
To keep pace with the development of ICT industry, the Constitution of our Association is once again re-written in 2017 including the change of name to “PERSATUAN TECHNOLOGI MAKLUMAT SARAWAK” (SARAWAK ICT ASSOCIATION) and the change of name has been approved by Registrar of Societies on 6.12.2017. The short name or logo is known as SICTA.
Among the major changes in the re-written Constitution are:
- facilitate the “merging” of KCBA members” under Kuching Branch;
- expansion of membership to cover individual membership and affiliated membership;
- exclusion of members who are no longer in the ICT industry or ceased business; and
- broaden the objects of our Association.
With the new setup, the Central Committee (CWC) will be made up of 3 representatives each from Kuching Branch, Sibu Branch, Bintulu Branch and Miri Branch.
The Rules & Constitution of Sarawak ICT Association allows independent management of branch finances and in carrying out the activities beneficial to their members at each branch while the CWC deals with matters which affect the ICT industry at State & National Level.
You can download the Constitution of “Sarawak ICT Association” from our website.
Compiled by Wong Chi Tieng
- To Promote the IT industry.
- To promote computer business activities, friendship and co-operation among members.
- To assist to solve problems relating to IT industry arising among members.
- To liaise with Government, other Associations / Societies registered in Malaysia, in matter of common interest.